When applying for a South African Passport online there are some key items to keep in mind. Some of these items include what type of passport is it, whether being for touring, children, an adult, or for official use, etcetera.
Other things to keep in mind will how much will it cost to purchase your passport, what will you need for the application process, how long will it take to obtain your passport?
What are the steps for applying for the application?
To begin your process you will want to visit the Department of Home Affairs website for South Africa.According to the how to guide found on the website.
- Capture the received one time pin to verify your cellular number
- Login to the profile you just created to verify your email.
- Capture the one time pin received SMS to log on.
- Complete the application form for your Smart ID Card or Passport
- Submit the Completed Application by clicking on the Submit to Home Affairs button.
- Upload supporting documents if necessary.
- Make your payment via your bank account.
- Make a Booking at Home Affairs enabled Bank Office
- Print your confirmation letter, this is required for branch use.
What is needed to obtain a South African passport?
Below I listed some of the key items you will need to obtain your passport. This list includes key documentation.
- A completed application DHA-73 Form
- The original identity documents you submitted for registration, or a copy of your birth certificate.
- Parental consent if under the age of 18.
- A completed determination of citizenship Form DHA-529
- Current or existing tourist passport or a DHA-355 form with proof you reported your passport stolen or lost to the police department.
- Two color photographs that comply with the Passport and ID Photograph Specifications.
- Pay the preassigned fee for the passport.
How much does it cost to get a South African Passport?
Depending on what your type of passport you are applying for the applications fees may vary. There are several other fees that may apply depending on what process you are applying for. Listed below are some of the more common fees associated with obtaining your passport.
- First Application for a tourist passport in $28.60.
- Reapply for Application with a lost passport is $58.20
- First time application for a Maxi tourist passport is $42.90
- Reapply for Maxi Tourist Application that is lost or not present is $85.80
- Tourist Passport and just married, must present passport with old surname. Is $28.60
- Just Married and old passport is lost or stolen is $58.20
- Official Passport or crew member certificate, and temporary passport issued for official services is Free.
- Crew Member certificate $25.02
- Four back and white photo frames for ID application is $2.86
How long does it take to obtain a South African Passport?
Once you have completed the registration and application process you will be sent a confirmation for both the registration and the application process. You will then be directed to set up an appointment at the branch of your choice with Home Affairs that can be done at certain bank branches, this can also be done at your local post office. Once there, your photos will be taken for the passport itself, along with fingerprints and signatures. You can follow the tracking of your passports by sending an SMS message containing the letter “P” along with your ID number to 32551. You will then be sent a notification to collect your passports within two to three weeks. Upon receiving your notification to collect your passport, proceed to collect it and enjoy your many new travels to come.
What are a few extra items to check for when you apply for a passport?
A few extra things to keep in mind while going through the process for your passport are listed below.
- Make sure the information on the documents are correct on all of them.
- You have to be a standard bank, FNB or ABSA internet banking because the payment can only be processed online.
- If you are applying for a new one the old one must be expiring within 6 months.
- If you are applying because the old passport is currently full you must have less then 3 pages available.
I personally recommend double checking all process you specifically file with the Homes Affairs department to ensure proper spelling of names and addresses so there are no hassles upon collecting them. This will also avoid having to do more paperwork in the long run via online.
If you are applying for a minor the fee will be different and there is a parental consent form that will need to be filed and signed before processing can be furthered. Once the approval process has been finished, sit back wait for your notification and enjoy your many adventures to come.